03 September 2012

First Thoughts: THE MINDY PROJECT

With what she has already achieved on TV as a writer, I hold such high regard for Mindy Kaling. When she announced she was going to star in her own TV show, The Mindy Project, I did my best to control going on fan girl mode and held no high expectations.


I avoided devouring every news I came across about the show since I wanted to watch the pilot without riding on the hype. With Mindy's calibre, I was sure there's gonna be a lot of that (hype), especially since this show is scheduled to be aired on Fox and that the network's really pushing (read: hardcore marketing and strategizing) to gain an audience for their comedies.

People are gonna be saying The Mindy Project is the "Best Comedy of the new season" very early. Having watched the pilot just now, here's what I think:

It's premature to say it's the "best" but there's a reason why Mindy Kaling is successful. SHE WRITES REALLY WELL!

The one thing that stood out to me while I was watching the pilot was its flow and pacing. It's like Mindy wrote this on a really good day, where she's on roll and everything is just coming together. That's hard to do given her really busy schedule since she's not only writing and starring in this show, she's still doing other stuff for The Office, even as she's running The Mindy Project.

I love the transition from scene to scene. I like how important characters in her life were introduced. The set-up is well-executed and the language and dialogues totally speak of her. Those are her very thoughts coming to life (or to TV, as it were). Having followed Mindy Kaling's blog(s) for many, many years...I can definitely say that this truly is HER show.


The one tiny flaw I can think of? It's a girl's show, and one that will most likely be compared a lot to HBO's Girls.

The Mindy Project is television's version of a rom-com...which is to say that sometimes, it can get so sappy and maybe even unrealistic. It's not my favorite genre, and I'm such a girly girl most the time at that! Not many will find Mindy's antics cute, I assume. The Office fans will see that she sometimes channels her inner Kelly Kapoor.

But as far as entertainment goes --- The Mindy Project is bound to become a winner. So long as Mindy keeps it together and continues to write with precision. I dare say, I liked this pilot's flow even better than New Girl. (These shows are going back to back on Fox's schedule. A nice fit!)

One minute into the show, I was already laughing at something Danny said (which Mindy wrote, of course). Five minutes of watching, and I found myself nodding in agreement to what Gwen was saying, while I was sending thoughts of congratulations to Mindy Kaling via mental telepathy for a good job done. I hope she got it! =)

From the official press release:
THE MINDY PROJECT is a new single-camera comedy from Emmy Award-nominated writer/producer and New York Times best-selling author Mindy Kaling ("The Office") that follows a woman who, despite having a successful career, desperately needs to break bad habits in her personal life. After all, how many doctors make inappropriate toasts at their ex-boyfriend's wedding, nearly drown at the bottom of a stranger's pool and get arrested for disorderly conduct just moments before having to deliver a baby?  
Funny, impatient and politically incorrect, MINDY LAHIRI (Kaling) can quote every romantic comedy starring Meg Ryan that exists. She loves the good ones and the bad ones, because the girl always gets the guy. Mindy is determined to be more punctual, spend less money, lose weight and read more books - all in pursuit of becoming a well-rounded perfect woman...who can meet and date the perfect guy. Mindy is a skilled OB/GYN and shares a practice with a few other doctors, none of whom make life any easier for her. 
Here's a preview:



The show will run on FOX beginning Sept. 25th.