12 July 2011

Dallas is Getting A Reboot!

Folks in the 80's, I mean adults above 35 years old, loved watching only three types of drama series where I come from: Knots Landing, Falcon Crest and Dallas.

I knew little about television back then. No, wait...I knew a lot of television because I was already addicted to TV.

But I didn't understand a lot of the adult shows.

The funnest part for me was Saturday mornings, because that's when Saturday Fun Machine was on. Saturday Fun Machine was half a day of cartoons. (Kids,  we didn't have the privilege of cable's Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel growing up!)

But I was aware that Dallas was huge. As huge as Linda Gray's hairstyle:


And I think that the character of Patrick Dempsey (who plays JR Ewing if I'm not mistaken), is equivalent to today's Patrick Dempsey aka McDreamy.

I came across the news that Dallas was getting a reboot. Immediately, I thought of my grandmother who was a big fan of American drama shows involving the rich and the privileged. She would've loved this news and so because of that, I consider my interest in the reboot as a personal thing.

I can't wait to see this, if only to feel some connection with my grandmother. Coincidentally, her 22nd death anniversary is this month.

The teaser shows that the older Ewings, the original cast members, are still very much part of the reboot (albeit in guest actor capacity, I guess). But there are also lots of new actors, like Jesse Metcalf (Desperate Housewives, Season 1) .



Dallas, the reboot, is set to air on TNT, summer of 2012.