30 September 2008

Little Britain USA S1 E1

I have a confession to make. I let my 10 year old (11 in two weeks!) watch Little Britain USA with me. It's this highly inappropriate, enormously offensive sketch comedy series that HBO has adopted from an original British show. It still stars the same British leads, only they added new materials to fit their audience.

For all its inappropriateness, I did find myself occasionally bursting in laughter. The show's materials are without a doubt very, very funny. And I think I like this better than the British original. Which is why I let my 10 year old boy watch. I've always been proud of how sharp his humor is. And he loves the absurdity of Spongebob Squarepants, probably the closest show I can compare this with (except this isn't cartoons, obviously!)... so I figured, why not?

It's not real. It's a fat suit.

Well, my son didn't like it all that much. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest, my son rated this a four. The fact that David Schwimmer directed some of the scenes, did not impress him. (My son is very familiar with his work both as an actor and a director, since he's a big Friends fan.) Test done. He isn't watching this anymore. Maybe when he's older.

I, on the other hand, quite enjoyed it. It's not for the easily offended though because I'm sure if you're that kind of person, you'd really be wondering what's the point of this show.