18 September 2009

How Ugly is The Beautiful Life?

Critics didn't love The Beautiful Life, and apparently, so did most of its targeted young viewers (for which shows like this are made). The premiere episode this week only earned a measly 1.4M+ in ratings.

I was expecting a sharp, edgy and intense program. This is, after all, a look at all the ins and outs of the fashion industry, a most intriguing world. But for all the drama it's supposed to have,  some scenes registered flat, some plots were overwhelming. It was something trying very hard to have depth and substance, when it's just not there.

I was watching, wishing I could skip some parts, but then that wouldn't make my viewpoint objective. I noticed, I couldn't stand most of Mischa Barton's scenes and I don't know why.

It's the first time I'm watching her (never saw The OC) and her character is the least one I'd likely invest on.

However, I found real chemistry between the characters of Chris Andrews (Ben Hollingsworth) and Raina Mayer (Sara Paxton). If only the show was ALL about them! I'd be rooting for TBL to get really better, only for these two.

If not, then it's two or three more episodes, then I'm outta here.